Wednesday, October 2, 2013

DAY OF REST THEORETICALLY

Today (Oct 1) was designated as a day of rest. I’ve waited a long time for today… to sleep late, lounge, do nothing. But this is Uganda and I should have known that schedules are meant to be broken. We did sleep later than usual though our phone abruptly rang very loudly at ten a.m. to announce that if we didn’t show up soon we would miss breakfast. As many of you know, I am not a morning person, so you would be proud to know I did not bark into the phone. I kindly told the person on the other end that we would NOT be coming and rolled over and went back to sleep. I did wake up shortly afterwards and sat outside (it was a perfectly beautiful day) and started labeling all the kids names to pictures we had taken. Jen Taylor took at least six of each child, so as you can imagine I only made it through one and a half classes. At one Steven and James came by to discuss our schedule for the next two weeks. They are so good about taking care of us. We invited them to join us for lunch and today I ordered Egg fried rice. It was actually really good. Beats many of the places in SA. Haji, in case you are wondering, ordered fish and chips; as opposed to the fish and chips he has ordered every night since we’ve arrived!

At four we left for Musana, a school started by three young ladies out of Colorado. Two have since returned to the US and one, Andrea is now here and has married a wonderful Ugandan by the name of Haril. They graciously had invited us to dinner where they served Ugandan burritos. Somehow Uganda has the best guacamole ever!! We sat and talked to them for several hours learning about how they have made their school such a success. I am so excited for Liz. When she eventually moves here she already will have a wonderful friend. She is really sweet (unlike Liz) and the two of them will really enjoy having one another to bond with. She commented that she has no social life so she does keep up on current events. In fact on Thursday we are going to the Sol Café (a restaurant that helps support their ministry) for a game of trivia. She has told us the questions will be current events. I tried to bribe her to give me the questions ahead of time but to no avail. I really wanted Liz and Jaimie to think I was smart!! Then one day next week we are going to take them to dinner. Her mother was here visiting so we had a chance to talk with her as well. One thing is for sure. They all know we are crazy but they all know we love the people we are here called to serve. 

I have formed a really special relationship with the Pastors this trip, especially James and Stephen. We have joked and kidded but also touched on some really important issues. I have sought their advice and what they have told me has been great. They are just good people. So is Haji. We are very much interested in their thoughts and opinions and so we inquire and are learning so much with what they share. Life long friendships are being made. 

With that I am going to sleep. Tomorrow we are going to see Andrew Wambi. I have never met this man but have been looking forward to this moment for a long time. To my family I miss you guys so much. Seester, I miss our daily conversations. It is just not the same. I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment