Saturday, October 12, 2013

Goodbye Iganga

 
 
Today we left Iganga. Our plan was to leave at 9am and we actually drove out of the Mum at 8:57! That is so amazing. Stephen, James, Ronald, Wilson, and Julie came to say goodbye to us. So we had one more chance to say our goodbyes before heading out. Chimba was supposed to join us for dinner last night but he got tied up with a burial. So after dinner we packed up the fish we had ordered for him and took it out to his house and told his wife she should eat it. She was so excited to see us and we were just as glad to see her. We also delivered the suit we had Patrick make for him. So later in the evening Chimba came to the Mum and Haji told him he had to be at breakfast at 7:30. This morning he came in his new suit and both he and Haji modeled. Both men looked very “smart”. And were very happy with what we had done for them. 



Needless to say, putting up with us for as long as Haji has he earned every bit of that suit. As for Chimba for all the work he did for Tree of Life he earned his as well. Besides both men are so kind.

So then we left and headed to another section of the Nile. Haji has been praying for no rain for the longest time. And after seeing the roads I now understand why. Seriously if we had fallen off the edge we would be in China. Every few miles he would stop a complete stranger to make sure we were heading in the right direction. It took us a while to get there but upon arrival it was worth every bump and hole in the road. However, if you had a bad back this is not a trip to be taken. 



The view was just beautiful. Once again, I was in awe of the fact that people were just washing their clothes doing every day things in this majestic river. It was as amazing a view this time as it was in 2010. Just to see the Nile is just so incredible. I have to say it is one of the sights I am really glad that I have seen. 



I also love all the villages we pass through and all the people we see along the way. No matter how many times I see this country it seems there is always something new to see. Right now we are in a restaurant in Jinja and the Mzungu’s outnumber the Africans. It is so weird. Jaimie, Liz and I have all gotten so comfortable here that anyone of us could fit right in. I’m just amazed to see the mixed cultures that come to serve in all the different capacities. I am so sad to be going home to a community that is so closed off. Where everyone goes into their own home and closes their doors to their neighbors. I am going to miss the constant sight of people – the willingness to help out their neighbors, the love they share with one another. I have loved my time here; I always do. Leaving is always such sweet sorrow. The sights and the sounds are just so beautiful. So now we are wrapping up lunch (the best guacamole and chips ever) and heading back to the van to go to Kampala.



Leaving Jinja I thought the road would improve quickly; this alone should prove that my memory is awful. But pretty soon we were driving quickly though the roads are still questionable. And then we got close to Kampala and started moving at a snails pace. There was one time we passed a truck with a truck coming right at us. I thought I was going to meet my maker. It was the first time I really thought I was a gonner. But Haji was in complete control and just like that we were back in the right lane (maybe I should say left lane!). So now we are at the Adonai where we stayed last year on our way out. As would have it one of the men we met last year is staying here again. It really is a small world. Love all of you and really appreciate all the prayers you have had for us during this time. I know we have been blessed because of you. Can’t wait to get home and share our stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment