Thursday, October 10, 2013

Periodic Table Dancers

Today started out not quite as early as the previous days. There is much to be thankful in that. It poured last night but I slept so soundly I didn’t hear a thing. Our A/C unit sounds like the north wind is blowing right through our room. It is very comforting to me and so the outside noises don’t even penetrate. So we slept through a major storm only to find new rivers flowing this morning. Now we are not only avoiding the potholes but also the streams. Makes for one exciting ride. I went to Baroda Bank today to deposit funds for Lochoro Evaline. I don’t know what led me to believe this would be an easy process. For some reason I thought I could just go to the school, give them money for a new uniform and lunch (so she doesn’t have to walk back and forth to school each day) and be done. Instead you have to deposit the funds into a school account in her name at the bank, get a receipt, take the receipt to the school and then the process begins. So this has been done. Check one thing off my list. Evaline was so thankful Esther and Evans for this and wanted to be sure I thanked you. Then we bought more bibles, this time for the prison ministry that we were blessed to see started while the team was here. The man that runs that store is going to be so sorry to see us go! Afterwards we stopped by Phil’s to give Aloko Paul his medicine but he was not there. Last night when we went to see him he was not there either time. Jaimie had left his medicine with Ruth, an outstanding young lady, but this morning she returned it to us, saying he had never come home. I am sure hoping that when we go to get him today for his return doctor visit that he is there! Actually no one there this morning at breakfast time except a few kids who claimed to be home sick! So we left there and took Jaimie and Liz to Musana and Judy and I headed out to the women’s ministry where there had been a huge communication problem. Irene thought we were staying all day. We knew we could only stay a little more than an hour because we had several things to take care of in town. This was told to Irene on the front end but as we got ready to leave she was upset that we weren’t staying. We tried to explain that time just did not permit but that we had loved the time spent with the women. Only two of the women were there today but we sat and beaded with them. I actually made 30 beads in that time and I was getting pretty darn good if I say so myself. If I’d been there a little longer I could have produced quite a few more. I was finally in a rhythm and was on a roll. I even rolled some of the really tiny ones. And the two women said, “they were good!” I’ve never felt so complimented in my life. I’m pretty sure that was one of my proudest moments!!


 

At the end I took all my beads and put them into the shape of a cross. I took several pictures (shocker, I know) and shared them with the women. Maybe they will have a new artistic idea. I’m excited to get to play with the picture tonight and see what I can do with it.

 
At the end Judy put all her beads, both made by her and the women, in her backpack to take home. I put all my beads in their hands to use. This little girl (one of the women’s young daughters) that I met the first day we sat with the women, who reintroduced herself to me yesterday at Bulubandi came by and just latched onto my hand. She is so cute. What is it about me and little kids. I just fall in love with them all. I have told this woman that when she is old enough to start school I will sponsor her education. Yesterday her mother brought me a mat and a bag of fresh vegetables as a thank you. So today I taught this baby girl how to “gig em”. Gotta educate them right!!!

 
 
On our way back to the Mum we stopped in town to buy shoes. Haji was really afraid to let two Mzungus out of the car without Julie to do the bargaining. I needed a certain size. This wasn’t my first bargaining trip. I once lived in Mexico – so I’m pretty experienced in the art of bargaining. Besides this isn’t my first trip here. So the first shop had the shoes and wanted $35,000. I looked at him like he’d just shot me in the heart. I offered no more than $30,000. He looked back at me with the same expression. So I walked away. He kept telling me how they were worth the full $30 and I kept shaking my head. Then different vendors kept trying to sell me all shapes and sizes. I finally found the size I wanted and he offered what I was willing to pay. He then took me to the front where he was paying for plastic bag to put them in. I told him to keep his money I could carry them without a bag. It was a win/win situation and Haji told me I am now a true Ugandan.

Now the three of us, Jaimie, Liz and I are back in Jinja waiting for the doctor to re-examine Paul. We are hoping for a good report so we can all head back with good news. Regardless though, at this point of the trip, if the findings are negative and something more needs to be done, we will let Phil know the doctors findings and count on him to follow through. He seems to be better but getting him the medication every day (three times) has been difficult. We are relying on the older children to make sure he takes it and that just isn’t fair to them. Besides when he doesn’t come back at night it is hard to get him his medicine! So here is praying for a great checkup. I’ll keep you posted after we get home. Right now while I have Internet I am going to catch up on my current events. Tonight is Trivia night again and we are going. Once again I am hoping not to embarrass myself!

Well so much for hoping. We did place fourth. Not bad except for the fact that there were only four teams. There were three categories. The first was continents; the second was birth and contraceptives; and the third category was current events. Seven questions per category. Well who doesn’t know the continents… apparently, we don’t. At least not the questions that were asked. We were sure the team behind us was cheating; but it turned out they were just eating! Our logic was hysterical and obviously very wrong. But we had a great time, and Andrea’s mother was thrilled not to be the biggest loser. I’d like to say we lost on purpose to make her feel better, but I cannot tell such a big lie. We did know the answer to the first contraceptive used by the Egyptians. I’d tell you the answer but I think you should all look it up on your own. When it came to current events we actually knew nothing. Thank goodness for Haji. He knew that yesterday in Kampala all boda boda’s (motorcycles) had to be registered. We had no clue what the president said during his speech yesterday because although he was on TV ALL day, it being independence day and all, the MUM finally figured out how to mute their TV. So we heard nothing. Essentially we left with big L’s on our foreheads. But we had a great time and had a chance to meet several other Mzungus who live here in the Iganga area. Made me sad to think I was leaving Saturday for Kampala. I really do love it here. And I really do feel at home.

So now I am off to bed. Tomorrow I am going to Musana to meet with Andrea, Haril and her mother and then to Bulubandi to paint scripture on the walls of the newly painted dorm rooms. Love you all. Sue


Here's a picture of me and Ruth:



No comments:

Post a Comment