Saturday, October 5, 2013

Really! Who wakes up this early?

The alarm went off this morning really, really early. By really, really early I mean 6 am. The breakfast area is supposed to be up and running at six but when we walked in there was not a sole in sight. The lights were not even on. So after waiting a while we went back to the room and got good ‘ole American oatmeal and dug in! But breakfast so early in the morning just means our stomachs start growling by ten o’clock. Our day started at the market – not at all like any market most of us have ever been before. Bicycles with huge baskets on the back carrying chickens and goats. I’m amazed at how many chickens they can stuff in. They ride down the street to the market with little chicken heads poking out I imagine yelling, “save me, save me”. They sell (auction) chickens, goats, sheep and cows along with all kinds of vegetables. The market was a good distance from Iganga and we took a friend of Julie’s, Peter, so he could pick out non-diseased chickens. Interestingly, he bought all hens. This way they can produce eggs right away and they said there are always roosters around. And you know what happens when the roosters find the hens! She did not elaborate but we all got the message loud and clear. We also got the proper paperwork and because of we are Mzungus they required everything to be done “according to law”. So this group of chickens will be distributed first and then more will be bought for the remainder of the first fruits program. I am glad we will not be returning for that adventure though I am very glad we got to see the market in full swing. It is another side of Uganda I have now been privileged to see. After purchasing we proceeded to put all 50 hens in the back of the van and drive off with them where we deposited them with Peter for the weekend.
We all had the honor of getting some of the chickens out of the van. Though they were tied together at the feet the first several I picked up were really feisty and they practically turned themselves upside down to peck me. I was afraid I was going to drop them and at that point I wasn’t sure I really cared.

 
 
 
Then we left and went into town and did some shopping for the kids. The best find of the day was Oreo cookies and chocolate vanilla swirl ice-cream. I didn’t eat the ice-cream but the Oreos were good. I was sorry my mom taught me to share. Just as I opened the package Haril drove by and I gave him two. Then I offered Haji two. Coveted as they are I did share. Then we ran into Pat, Andrea’s mother and have arranged for them to come to the Mum and share dinner with us Monday night. What a blessing they have been. We are now back at the Sol CafĂ© getting ready for lunch. I love this place both because it supports Musana and because their chicken is so good! After lunch we are going to go by Julie’s hair salon so we can see it. I’m excited to see what she has as I’ve never had to opportunity. Then off to the Mum where I hope to spend the afternoon putting names to pictures so I don’t have to spend the next month at home trying to match them up. (Update: I got very little of this done. The option was pictures or a nap. Somehow the pictures did not win out!)

Yesterday, to catch you up a little we spent the day at Top Hills. We stopped at Phil’s first so we could give Aloko Paul his medicine. We are so medically inclined we have them marked at pink, white and BIG. That is how we tell them apart (Tamara you and Kari would be proud!) The drive to Top Hills is a long one but the countryside is beautiful. It is so green mixed with the red dirt roads – I just love looking out the window. Again, I have to say some of the potholes would leave you in China if you fell in. There really isn’t much but green between Iganga and there and I love watching Haji avoid the holes even if it means driving on the wrong side of the road. We arrived to do several projects but it seemed all the classes were in testing and so we sat under the tree and talked. Eventually a few of the younger kids came out and we started to help them write thank you letters for their gifts of goats, chickens or money. In my case, I loved doing this with them. I had a great opportunity to talk to them (although I did get help from one of the pastors to translate) and found out so much about them. I had them giggling and felt like the relationship became so much more important than the letter. Because they were young they loved coloring and drawing the pictures. Sponsors as you read these letters know they are very appreciative of all you do. I explained that you help them to go to school. They poured their hearts into coloring and we had great time writing. I wish each of you could meet your child. They are so dang cute. Picture after picture I take and still I wish I could take more. I want to bring home every smile. And capture every personality. I want to save it in a bottle so I can pull it out when I most miss this country which I know will happen as soon as I lift off from the ground.
Jaimie and Liz were in charge of picture taking. They only had one class left – P7 (middle school seventh graders). All those boys thought they were so cool that older girls were taking an interest in them. The pastors were getting a kick out of watching. All we could hear from the distance was a bunch of laughter, both from the Mzungus and the class. Wish I could have been a fly on the tree to hear what was actually being said. They did ask a boy to help them with pronunciation of names and from what I understand he rocked. So before we could hardly say “Jack Rabbit” they were done. Such an efficient pair! Meanwhile we were continuing to write letters with a new group of kids. I sat with Ronald this time and he knew everything about every child. I would ask a question and he would answer. He finally told me they all were his neighbors. I must say I was impressed he knew everyone so well!
 
Note the frog in the hair...I probably now have warts.

Now I am in my room at the Mum alone for the first time in three weeks. I have done something I said I would never do. I have sent Jaimie and Liz into town on their own. They are meeting a young man from Phil’s to do a little shopping and to enjoy some time to talk. I can’t believe that I sent three 20-somethings on their own. What they don’t know is that I have Haji spying on them and keeping them safe. They were so excited to get some alone time to chill and I trust all three of them with my life. I hope they have a really good time. They are buying Emma some futbol shoes (he has been asking me for some for years) and hopefully will also find some shin guards for his poor legs. They are also looking for shoes for Masiat and for little Rashidah at Top Hills. It’s been a long time since I’ve sent a pair of youngsters off by themselves. Tami and Janet are you worried yet??? I can’t wait to hear all about their adventure(s). I know there will be more than one!!!
At lunch today we started talking about our return trip to Kampala next week and all the cool things we could do along the way. Jaimie, not surprisingly, mentioned bungee jumping in Jinja. I talked to Haji and he said it was along the way so if this is something she would like to do we could stop for her. He asked me if I would do it. My immediate reaction was no. But I just might be crazy enough to try it. I’ll have to look at it first and see if I’m brave enough to do something so dumb. I’m not sure following Jaimie’s example is something I should strive to do. J We are also thinking of stopping at the zoo in Entebbe. It is a rescue zoo and now that Liz and I have seen the Pittsburgh zoo it sounds like something we should consider. Haji has asked if we go if he can come in and see the animals too. I guess we are not enough entertainment for him. So as we wind down to our last week there are many things to still do and people to see. Jaimie and Liz are going to be spending some time working at Musana next week and are very excited about that. Judy and I will be going to Bulubandi, Top Hills, working some with the Women’s Ministry and anything else that the pastor’s feel needs to get done. Tomorrow we are headed to Top Hills for church. I have never been there so I am very excited. I love worship in Uganda.

Good news! Jaimie and Liz both came home alive and so excited. Haji actually let them drive. And you thought I was nuts. He is like a grandfather with these girls. Anything they want he gives them. There is even a picture of him in the passenger seat. He does look scared to death!!! And then he went around the round-a-bout in circles without any prompting from either of them. They think he is awesome. But then we all know he is. He is like a little kid always pulling pranks. His favorite is blowing his straw cover at one of us. Sometimes he hits us and then he just attempts to look so innocent. Sadly, for him, he can’t keep a straight face for longer than a second. Patrick joined us for dinner tonight and Judy, he brought the shirt you asked him to make. I paid him 50,000 shillings which he said you had agreed to. Paige he also brought the placemats and napkins from the fabric you bought. He said there was only enough fabric to make six of each but they are beautiful. The great news is that the total cost was only 24,000 shillings; 2,000 for each as apposed to the 10,000 at Bulubandi. I had planned to have some more made at Bulubandi but for that price I have decided to have Patrick make them instead. They turned out really nice and I will bring them home! 

Guess this is all for today. Looking forward to a good nights sleep and another good day tomorrow. Can’t believe we head for home a week from tomorrow. We miss our team. You guys were a great group and I am so thankful for each and every one of you. To my family… in case you are wondering, I love you all the way to God’s house and back times infinity plus one! May God bless you all.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Well a picture is worth a thousand words! Oh my on the chickens!!!!!!! Then the frog???! What an adventure you're having. Great news on medicine for Aloko.
    Keep Calm & Carry On.

    Love you,
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete