Tuesday, October 8, 2013

PERHAPS A TIME FOR CHANGE…

The day started by going by Phil’s to make sure that Aloko Paul got his medicine and then we dropped Jaimie and Liz back at Musana to work there. They are learning so much talking with Andrea and Pat and they are sharing it all with me. Tomorrow I am going to join them there. I am so excited to spend some time there!! But lets not get ahead of myself. Today Judy and Julie left early to go buy more chickens. This was supposed to be a short excursion but they ended up going to a different location and it was an hour away. So we got a later start than planned. With the chickens in the back of the van we then had to stop at a service station to get the spare tire replaced, as Haji did not want to drive all the way out to Top Hills without a good tire. I have to admit, I’ve never changed a tire with a trunk load of chickens before. The chickens got a little rambunctious and some took a tumble to the ground. Sadly, by the time we got to the school 15 had died! The good news is that the school was going to cook them up and serve the P7 boarders an excellent meal! As some of you know, the drive out to Top Hills is long and bumpy. Haji thinks that with all the twists and turns, and ups and downs, they may have suffocated along the way. All I know is that I was glad Jaimie was at Musana. She would not have handled this well. Her heart is much too soft to experience this type of drama. 

So while there we gave out the Bibles we had promised to the Ambassador kids we had interviewed and we distributed the chickens to the first fruits students. I love the concept of this. A teacher and I went to all the classrooms and asked each individual teacher who the neediest students were that were not sponsored. Based on that information she then selected three from each level that were blessed with chickens. I love the idea of this.

What I didn’t like is that the distribution came from us. I really think we need to reconsider how we do things. As Mzungus we need to stay in the background. Nothing should be perceived as coming from us. We need to help them become self sufficient and every time we distribute something it is seen as coming from the “rich Mzungu”. This does not help in our efforts to make them self sufficient… This is something we really need to give some serious thought to. It is not about us. When we were done with this we left and went to Bulubandi and distributed the chickens there. Again, we distributed them and we shouldn’t be the ones doing this. 

We need to stop being perceived as the Mzungu who brings things. I know I am as guilty as anyone. I love to give. It is who I am. I don’t want us to be looked upon as a source of money only. We should be coming to serve the people. I want us to be a source of God’s love. This way all the children would be loved the same! I really think we need to consider how we do our trips and the way we approach the kids. We need to help them become self sufficient – from the pastors right on down to the kids. Ok, enough of my philosophy for the night. I just need to act on what I think is best for this country and the kids we work with.

I want to help without hurting. I have learned a lot this trip. I have a lot to think about and that is for me a good place to be. I need to absorb all that I have seen and felt and figure out what is best for the people here. I know that my heart wants to help. I just need to figure out the best way to do that without causing harm along the way.

So with that said, I am going to turn in for the night. Tomorrow after Musana we are going into town for some last minute supplies. I have to say, that I am emotionally drained as well as physically exhausted. I think that is true for Jaimie and Liz as well. We have all grown so much and I have loved having them on this trip. I may have lost a lot of my sanity but I feel I have gained two daughters. I wouldn’t trade a moment of the time I have spent with either of them. Tami and Janet you have raised two fine women. You should be very proud of them. I know I am! 

I love you guys.
 
Here are a few photos of the day:
 
 
First Fruits

 
Haji with Liz' sunglasses on
 
 
Me and Rashidah

 
Painting the Dorms

 
My new friend, Gloria


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment